Monday, April 20, 2009

Major Progress

Well, I did not think I would be posting anything regarding my latest project for awhile. I was going to work on all of the ground details, etc. but decided against that. Instead I thought it better to get the trees glued on and get the leaves and blossoms done first so as to not over do it and end up with a crazy, chaotic mess of things to look at. The process of putting on the leaves and/or blossoms is probably the single most time consuming thing I do and I have surprised myself at how much progress I made over the weekend.
First I punch out hundreds of tiny flowers (I got this punch out of the dollar bin at Michaels). Luckily I had already done a lot of this previously so I could get right to it once the trees were glued on and dry. Then I take each flower and make them 3 dimensional with a sheet of thin craft foam, an embossing tool and a circular motion (tired hands by the end of the day). I kind of go back and forth, I'll curl a bunch, then glue them on, curl some more, glue some more, etc. I go through once and place one flower on each branch tip, I call these the anchors.

Once the anchors are dry I go back and press 2 more flowers into them with that same embossing tool to create 3D bunches. I'll do this until I am happy with the result. The below picture is after I have gone through and made each anchor into bunches of 3's. I will go back and fill it in some more later.

I though I'd add a close up. Later I will go back and put a tiny bit of detail paint into the centers of each flower.


I am very excited about how this project is coming along. I hope that the details I add to the ground along with the fence will help add dimension to the overall piece but I am thrilled with the progression of my work in each new project. Stay tuned, I may get finished much sooner than I had anticipated!

3 comments:

  1. The flowers look absolutely MAGIC - wow, this artwork is coming along so fast and looks great, I cant wait to see the detail on the grass and fences - it will just POP when its finished I think, lovely work Shaina, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Thank you Vania! Have really aprecciated all your comments, they mean so much! I'm just so excited about this one!

    ReplyDelete