Saturday, April 25, 2009

A little 9x12 and some news


Here's a newly completed little 9x12 (22.9 x 30.5 cm). I am once again bummed by the photo quality as the moon and the sky look sooooo much better in person. I created this piece by layering blue lace paper over a gaudy glitter paper, in person you can see a little bit of glitter and shimmer through the blue giving the illusion of stars. The moon has texture and looks a lot more natural than in the photo.


So in my little mini break from my big 18x24 I've been blogging the process about has presented me with an exciting opportunity. While perusing local news and events on Craigslist I discovered that there will be a juried art show in Bellingham (15 minutes away). I inquired and found out that they are actually jurying the art in 2 weeks even though the show is not until November!!! I AM ENTERING! So if I don't blog or leave comments for anyone in the next little while you know why!! I have exactly 12 days to get 4 or 5 pieces done!


I have no expectations, maybe some hopes but I am realistic. I have no idea what the calliber of artists are in the local area but I want the experience. If nothing else I will get a feel for how these juried shows work and get exposure to the other local artists in the area. The Art Director that I was emailing with was very intrigued and said they have never had a paper artist enter and this is their 40th show! This for me is a giant leap forward. I am a totally fear based person, I am not adventurous, I don't jump off cliffs without knowing there is a safety net. I'm more excited than nervous at this point but I know that will come closer to the day when I have too much to do and not enough time. Good thing I work well under pressure! Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. hi shaina! i have to giggle at how much you and i are alike...i don't jump off of cliffs without seeing the safety net, either (and i always wear a belt AND suspenders, just in case!). good for you for entering this juried show!! i just KNOW that everyone is going to love your work, and certainly appreciate all of the hours that go into your masterpieces! good luck in getting your new artwork done...i'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! :)

    p.s. today's piece with the moon is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on the juried show. I love the way you made the moon glow off the trees. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heaps of Good Luck wishes for the art show - its great that you will be the first paper artist - different and unique - could would in your favour. Love the dark night and moon artwork - it would look striking framed. Cheers Val xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Took a break to enjoy the sunshine with the kids today but already back at it. Can't wait to share this new piece with you. Its turning out better than I could have hoped for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so great for you to enter. I have been to the Art show in Bellingham before and loved it. I'm sure your work will fit in beautifully. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete