Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Spring Blossoms 12"x16"



I have just completed this latest piece. Have been wanting to do a tree sort of like a Cherry Blossom for awhile as my favorite time of year is Spring when they are in full bloom. Growing up near Vancouver (BC) was a treat and I am sure this is not the last time I will do one! I realize that in most cases Cherry Blossom tree leaves are usually deep purple but I am not one to necessarily follow the realms of reality (and I know there are some varieties with green leaves too). Besides, these days with the economic situation pressing in our wallets too I try to use what paper I have on hand before ordering any new stuff. I had been itching to try out the gilded batik I purchased a couple of months ago and had it in mind already.

I love this piece. Well, the tree anyway, not so pleased with the ground cover flowers this time but too late to go back now. I drew and cut this tree from kraft paper cardstock. Used a crackle patterned stamp for the bark and then went back with acrylic paints and a tiny brush for the rest of the details. The leaves are made from gilded silver deep lime green 100gsm batik and hunter green 100gsm batik. The blossoms are made from 100 gsm victorian rose batik.

I am still perplexed by the varying feel of the batik papers. I can order a dozen sheets in varying colours but the same gsm and some just feel different and lighter. I can't always use the lighter ones as they won't punch easily and that drives me crazy. This was the case with the Hunter Green and I spent too much frustrating time while trying to punch what I needed (deep sighs and small pieces of paper don't mix!). I would rather use a different paper since most batiks bleed when I gloss coat them but I have yet to find another paper that is in the same price range, punches as well and has the lovely subtle textural (looking) pattern that they have. If you have any suggestions let me know.

The sky was painted with 3 pieces of tissue overlayment. I like the tissue for its addition of texture (creases and such) and the fact that it tones down the colour a bit but if you make a mistake - FORGET IT! Pulling it off once its soaked with modge podge is an icky mess of soggy paper and glue everywhere! I would like to find another paper for this as well but so far nothing else gives quite the same effect. I will keep searching to see if something else I deem worthy is out there but in the meantime I'll stick with the tissue.

The ground is once again 3 colours of 15o gsm green textured mulberry with yellow batik torn into tiny, tiny pieces for the ground cover. As I mentioned before I was not so happy with the result of that on this one. I need to find a better paper to work with and play around with my technique some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment