Saturday, February 7, 2009

First Project - first lessons



My first paper art piece is was inspired by my mom and was the first paper art piece I made. I am not generally a flower kind of person but thought this would be an interesting first test of the ideas in my head.

It is 5 deep red, 24 petal flowers on a teal background with green vines and leaves. The petals were coated with matte modge-podge and the final piece was given 2 coats of UV acrylic gloss.

The flowers were by far the hardest part of the project and were meant to be the showcase. I made all the templates from scratch, cut each petal out by hand, coated each one (all 120 of them) with 8 layers of modge-podge 4 on front, 4 on the back, folded and shaped each petal, and glued them on. Including drying time I could even guess how many hours this took (first time remember!). I do not know the gsm of the petal paper but I would guess 35 to 50 (pretty thin).

The centers of the flowers were made with just standard black cardstock cut into 1/4 inch strips. The smallest one was made from 2 1/2 feet of paper, the largest about 4 feet. I used the quilling technique to wind the paper up into the centers but cut the paper every 1/8" (approximate - I didn't measure) beforehand.

Things I would do differently:

1) Use thicker paper for the petals to cut down layers of modge-podge and thus less waiting for glue to dry.

2) Was not overly happy about the vines, think I will try a different colour next time, perhaps more brown.

3) I would put the acrylic gloss on the background teal colour before applying any of the other components to prevent bleeding of colour onto other parts of the project.

Overall I didn't love the end result of this piece but learned a lot about building a flower. I have no idea how well the shape of the flowers will hold up over time I guess we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment