Saturday, May 9, 2009

Art Jury and New Pieces

The art jury itself was a little underwhelming...I don't know what I expected but it wasn't that. I showed up with the form already filled out and there was hardly anyone there yet. They asked if I could leave it all for an hour and then come back. I drove down to Fairhaven and window shopped for a bit and then headed back. A few compliments and a "We'll let you know in 7 to 10 days." and that was it. So we'll see.


The biggest thing about it though was that I DID IT! Another sign that perhaps all this soul searching for the past 2 years is really starting to pay off, I was never very good at finishing something I started, especially where rejection could be involved. I really didn't think I was going to make it, Thursday morning I busted my butt and got everything from Plan B done and then suddenly I found myself working on the blossom branch that I had given up on. Well, after working on it non-stop I finished it with only a half hour to spare! I couldn't believe it!

So here they are, the completed 18x24 I have been blogging about and my 11x14 spring branch. I probably would have kept working on the big one but I just ran out of time and blossoms!


And the branch...






That was one of the most exhausting weeks I've had in a long time! The job is going good, everyone is nice and they haven't thrown anything to scary at me yet. Just sooo not used to working at all anymore, nevermind full time! I miss my kids but I have to admit the time I do have with them is so much sweeter. I know its only normal that they'll a bit off with me...after all I have been present most of their lives and have never been gone for 8 hours a day...ever...but its still a bit hard. When my daughter wouldn't come to me the second day I have to admit I had to sneak away for a moment and shed a few tears. Its already getting better though and I had a really good time with them last night before bed...lots of giggles.

Oh, and I know many of you are far beyond this point but I have 10 followers!! Thanks to everyone, I appreciate each of you so much! I might just have to do a little giveaway soon, I'm just too exhausted to think about it yet ;o) All last night though I kept feeling like I needed to get over to my work station out of habit.

Off to enjoy the sun with my little monkeys!

9 comments:

  1. cool art i like it, like tappestry or something, ive forgot what that kind of art is called?.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment! To be honest, if there is a name for it I don't know what it is ;o) I'm completely untrained and while I have found many things similar to what I do but not quite the same. If anyone knows please fill me in! I just call it paper art ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi shaina! your artwork is perfect! i LOVE the dimensionality of the blossoms...oh my goodness, the time that must be involved in that! you amaze me! happy mother's day sweet gal! :)

    p.s. looks like i'm follower #11...sorry, i thought i had done that a long time ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shaina- I made an "Ode to Shaina" card this weekend but forgot to take a picture- well really I just copied your technique a bit - a lot! And I absolutely loved the result. It was very similar to the branch picture you posted- except for the center of the flowers-yours are amazing and I wasn't sure how to finish mine. Great job on all your pieces! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, as always Lori! I didn't realize you weren't a follower since you're always popping by to check things out and say such nice things! ;o) And belated Happy Mother's Day to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah - That's so great! Glad you got to experience what this stuff looks like in person, the photos never do any of it any justice! Makes a really beautiful and special card. You'll have to take photos next time! The flower centers always give me trouble too. This is the first time I used that punch. Keep experimenting! I'm still sure I can come up with something better. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Award time - come to my blog! Cheers Val

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shaina! Thanks so much for coming to visit! I really appreciate your sweet comment! Your latest creations are fabulous! Have a wonderful week!

    Hugs,
    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete