Sunday, March 22, 2009

gift box - 1st attempt


Awhile ago I started cutting celtic knots (which I love almost as much as trees) but I couldn't figure out what to do with. I have a binder with clear plastic sleeves where I have all my cut pieces that have no home yet. Here I have applied a teal silk paper to the top of a paper mache box then carefully stippled modge podge on top of the paper to set it. Once dried I added a second layer of modge podge and applied the celtic knot, stippling the brush over it as well to get out any bubbles and seal the paper. Finally two layers of UV acrylic gloss were applied, this gave the paper a beautiful marble look that I was both suprised and pleased with. I am thinking I may add a stone or something to the center of the knot and add something that I have yet to come up with to the bottom of the box to jazz it up a bit.
I loved the end effect of the silk paper but I would not recommend it unless you are ready for a mess. Silk paper is VERY fiberous and can take a beating just by handling it. Adding glue to the mix made a MESS and was tedious work. That being said, the end result was better than I could have hoped for and I will probably do it again. :o)
I was going to add a silver outline onto the celtic knot but decided that the lines of the knot were too thin and thought that the silver might overpower it. I will try that on another one where the lines of the knot are wider.

No comments:

Post a Comment