Sunday, March 22, 2009

Before the Wind Came - Fall series 9x12 & 12x16

So here are the two that were awaiting their final coats of gloss for far too long.
With everyone struggling economically I have been playing with different ways to do some things to keeps costs lower and therefor more affordable. This yellow leaved fall tree (9x12) was one attempt. I kept the background simple. One single green piece of mulberry for the ground and one piece of sky blue fiberous paper for the background. Keeping the background simple allowed me to put my typical amount of work into the tree.

This one on the other hand was more complex (12x16). The stormy sky is multiple colours of gray and white fiberous papers torn into pieces and overlaid until I was happy with its overall look. I am still trying to find the paper I originally used for clouds but this search continues to be fruitless. This was my first attempt at doing small silhouetted trees in the background. I love the idea but am not totally happy with the results on this one (mainly the trunks). Will keep trying though as I love the idea, I think I will also try cityscapes in the future. Two pieces of green mulberry were used for the ground although this picture makes it hard to see that. The leaves were many colours of indian batik (100 gsm) paper and a bit of other scrap paper I had laying around.

3 comments:

  1. How do you make the leaves? Do you have a die cut?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah. I use flower and leaf shaped paper punches. The one I usually use for the leaves is a 6 pointed flower which I like because of the petal shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I do like your art very much - I love the colours you use and the texture of the trees, just lovely :)

    ReplyDelete