Monday, June 15, 2009

Oh, Craft Time How I Miss Thee

Many events besides my new full time job are keeping me from both my art and my blog. Life has been a hectic, often stressful, and sometimes in need of a good blubbering pity party, table for 1. Things are thankfully getting back to normal.

Not to disapoint, I do have a new piece in the works, I just never know these days how long something is going to take. A piece that I could have completed in days is now weeks. Its frustrating for someone like me who loves real, visual progress. That being said I am working on a new branch piece that I am getting excited about. It is another 11 x 14 blossoming branch but the flowers are quite a bit smaller and in more abundance. The leaves on this one will be much more prominant as well. I am also using yellow, largely because I am on a tight budget and I had it on hand and partly because I think it will be pretty. I am planning on this being quite an intricate piece, no skimping on the details and I am also going to make it as textural and 3D as I can.

Now, I know I haven't mentioned the art show. As you can probably guess, I did not get in. At first I was really upset and did indeed have myself a good blubbery pity party....I know, really, that initial reaction was just the plain old sting of rejection and who the heck likes to be rejected. On the positive side, I accomplished something; I can count on one hand how many times I stared my fear of rejection and failure in the face and did it anyways. I have to give myself a pat on the back and remind myself that I am definitely on the road to being the better me that I envision even if the road there is a little steeper now :o) And....I sold my first piece, the one with the mountains and the two cherry blossoms!!! I couldn't have sold it until November if I had got into the art show and we sure could use the extra money right now. Its weird, but I am having a bit of seperation anxiety, this is the first piece I am letting go that never was intended for any specific person. I think its good though, it means my heart was in the piece and the piece is in my heart.

Miss you all and I'm sorry for not responding to comments all of the time! Everything is so unbalanced right now and my correspondence and blogging time has gone out the window! Can't wait to have a new piece to post!!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the sale and the new job! I'm looking forward to seeing your new piece - yellow being a favorite of mine. And working with yellow will help cheer you up. Good for you - stare that rejection and pity down. I love your trees!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on selling your first piece of artwork!! i understand exactly what you mean about separation anxiety....almost like watching your little babies leave home! i also understand your feelings about the exhibit....pity parties are definitely allowed, girlfriend!! conquering your fears was the real prize here, and you won big-time! you go!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tammy and Lori! I'm just so happy I'm learning to let things go and keep on stepping forward. Cry and move on ;o)

    ReplyDelete