Wednesday, June 24, 2009

So close I couldn't wait...updated :o)

So close I couldn't wait to post it...






I am just so thrilled to have a piece so close to completion after weeks of working on the same thing!

This is an 11" x 14" piece that I am really, really happy about. I spent a lot of time on the flowers and I think it was worth it. The branch is from a cool sort of sand textured/looking piece of scrapbook paper. I do not normally use scrapbook paper but I always look at the specialty stuff because it sometimes has interesting patterns or textures. I have used this paper in both of my recent branch pieces and won't be surprised if I use it again. I added a bit of shading to the branch with a medium brown acrylic paint but not much. I try to let the paper do most of the talking. I'm not sure exactly what kind of paper the yellow flowers are made of, I just happened to have a lot of it. I put tiny punched flower centers of orange indian batik and then added 3 white/clear beads in the center of each. All that's left to do at this point is the final coats of UV gloss.


I have played around with beads before as I have a lot of them around from many years ago. I've been trying to use stuff I already have and not buy anything new for a bit....so hard! I have a bit of a paper addiction ;o). But I do like playing around with all kinds of techniques and mediums because you never know what you're going to get. I brought some brown, krinkled up, packing paper home from work the other day because I want to try twisting it into branches and see what happens. I am excited to try more textural ideas and see what I come up with.


Oh...so little time for all these ideas in my head!!

6 comments:

  1. The twisted paper is a good idea. I use it. Also if you wanted to try using things from nature~~take small pieces of moss that grows on trees and use it on your trees for texture. Play around with things you find outside. You'll really be amazed at what nature has for you to use and it's free!!! I love your work!! I can tell you put all your love into what you do!!! I can't wait to see it when you're finished!!~~Have FUN!!!!~~Blessings, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVELY!!! I love your artwork so much - so delicate and time consuming, but so very worth the end results :) cheers Val xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shaina, just wanted to tell you that I think your art is so beautiful! I don't have an artistic bone in my body, so am envious of what you are able to create!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your artwork is so gorgeous! The texture and the colors are stunning! You must be such a patient person!! Beautiful! :) Silke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhhh, Ladies, you warm my heart! ;o) Everytime I start to doubt what I am doing I come back and ready these wonderful comments. Thank you all for your support and inspiration!! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. shaina, this is breathtaking!! my goodness....talk about a labor of love! wow! you always share such beautiful artwork with us!! and, i also love your twisted paper idea! :)

    ReplyDelete